Huntington weather every day!

Archive for April, 2018

Monday, April 30, 2018

newts-frog-eggs

A pair of eastern newts feed on wood frog eggs in our pond

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 7:45AM it’s currently 36 degrees under overcast skies. Winds are calm. Relative humidity is 98%, dewpoint 35, barometric pressure 29.90” and rising slowly. We picked up 0.88” of rain/melted precipitation and about 0.50” of wet snow in the past 24hrs. Yesterday’s high was 47, and the overnight low was 33.

Forecast:

The slow moving upper level low that’s treating us to cool and wet weather will finally begin to move eastward through the day today and be centered over the Gulf of Maine by this evening. High pressure will bring fair and dry conditions to the region Tuesday and Wednesday with temperatures hitting the mid to upper 70s by Wednesday afternoon. More unsettled weather will return Wednesday night through the end of the work week as another moisture laden low moves into the region.

We’ll see cloudy skies with periods of rain this afternoon and a few rumbles of thunder possible. Highs will be around 48F with NNW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 70%. Tonight rain showers early will become a more steady rain overnight. Lows will be around 42F with light and variable winds. Chance of rain is 70%.

Tuesday should be cloudy early, then become partly cloudy in the afternoon. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. Highs will be around 67F with WSW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Tuesday night should be partly cloudy with a slight chance of a rain shower. Lows will be near 55F with SSW winds at 5 to 10 mph.

Wednesday should be partly cloudy early with scattered thunderstorms developing in the afternoon as a cold front swings through. Highs will be around 79F with SW winds at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain is 40%. Wednesday night should bring scattered thunderstorms during the evening followed by occasional showers overnight. Lows will be near 60F with SW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 60%.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 51 and a low of 30.

Burlington averages for this date are a high of 62 and a low of 40.
The record high was 84°F in 2004 (we had a high of 82).
The record low was 27°F in 1967.

Sky Notes:

Sunrise: 5:45AM
Sunset: 7:55PM
Length of Visible Light: 15h 13m
Length of Day: 14h 9m
Tomorrow will be 2 minutes 40 seconds longer

The Moon is waning gibbous, 15 days old with 99% illumination.
Moonrise: 8:36PM
Moonset: 6:27AM

About Today’s Photo:

Our pond is a hive of activity right now. Wood frogs and peepers are busy mating and laying eggs, and our bountiful crop of eastern newts are enjoying fresh eggs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. These newts are in their adult stage. Their bright orange juvenile forms—red efts—live in the woods before returning to the water to breed.

Panasonic GX8, Lumix 14-140mm lens @  84mm, ISO 1600, f/8, 1/125″ exposure.

Advertisements

Sunday, April 29, 2018

blood-root

Blood root blossoming by Fargo Brook

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 7:50AM it’s currently 43 degrees and raining lightly under overcast skies. Winds are out of the south at 0-4 mph. Relative humidity is 97%, dewpoint 42, barometric pressure 29.84” and rising slowly. We picked up 0.13” of rain in the past 24hrs. Yesterday’s high was 64, and the overnight low was 43.

Forecast:

A slow moving, nearly stationary, upper level low currenlty parked over the region will deliver unsettled weather across the North Country into Tuesday. Occasional rain showers are expected through Monday with some snow mixing in at elevations above 2000′. High pressure will bring fair and dry conditions later Tuesday and Wednesday, with temperatures bumping into the 70s Wednesday. More unsettled weather is in the cards for later in the week, but temperatures should remain in the normal range.

We’ll see periods of rain today with high only around 45F and NW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 100% with rainfall near 0.50″. Tonight rain is likely with snow mixing in above 2000′. Lows will be around 37F with WSW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 100% with rainfall near 0.50″.

Monday rain showers in the morning should become a steady light rain in the afternoon with rumbles of thunder possible. Highs will be around 50F with NNW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 70%. Monday night should be cloudy with a slight chance of a shower in the evening. Lows will be near 40F with light and variable winds.

Tuesday’s looking partly cloudy with highs near 63F and WSW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Tuesday night should be cloudy early with partial clearing expected late. Lows will be around 53F with SSW winds at 5 to 10 mph.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 71 and a low of 43.

Burlington averages for this date are a high of 61 and lows of 40.
The record high was 85°F in 1986.
The record low was 24°F in 1934.

Sky Notes:

Sunrise: 5:46AM
Sunset: 7:53PM
Length of Visible Light: 15h 10m
Length of Day: 14h 7m
Tomorrow will be 2 minutes 41 seconds longer

The Moon is the full “Pink” moon (Northeast Native American), 14 days old with 100% illumination.
Moonrise: 7:32PM
Moonset: 5:57AM

About Today’s Photo:

One of my favorite spring ephemerals, blood root, is now blooming along Fargo Brook. This early blooming and hardy flower uses its leathery leaves to protect its blossom when the weather turns chilly, wrapping it up in a cozy shroud, and letting it open up in warmer weather like we had yesterday. I imagine it’s wrapped up tight this morning!

Panasonic GX8, Olympus 60mm macro lens, ISO 1600, f/14, 1/160″ exposure.


Saturday, April 28, 2018

pileated-tree

A well worked tree…

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 7:35AM it’s currently 48 degrees under mostly cloudy skies. Winds are out of the south at 1-4 mph. Relative humidity is 98%, dewpoint 47, barometric pressure 29.72” and rising slowly. We picked up 0.15” of rain in the past 24hrs. Yesterday’s high was 56, and the overnight low was 38.

Forecast:

A slow moving upper level trough of low pressure over the Great Lakes
region this morning will continue to track toward the North Country bringing rain showers through the weekend. A cold front will accompany the trough settling much cooler air across the region Sunday into Monday before it finally begins to exit the region. Temperatures will moderate significantly heading towards the middle of next week.

We’ll see cloudy skies with periods of rain this afternoon and a rumble of thunder possible. Highs will be around 63F with SSW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 60%. Tonight will bring rain early with cloudy skies and showers overnight. Lows will be around 42F with light and variable winds. Chance of rain is 80% with rainfall around a 0.25″.

Sunday should bring occasional rain. Highs will only be around 46F with NW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 80% with rainfall near 0.25″. Sunday night should be cloudy with periods of rain and some possible snow mixed in over mid to upper elevations. Lows will be around 37F with WSW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 80% with rainfall around 0.25″.

Monday should bring rain showers early with overcast skies later in the day. Highs will be around 50F with WNW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 60%. Monday night should be cloudy with occasional rain showers. Lows will be around 38F with light and variable winds. Chance of rain is 40%.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 80 and a low of 55. We picked up 0.03″ of rain.

Burlington averages for this date are a high of 61 and lows of 40.
The record high was 90°F in 1990.
The record low was 24°F in 1947.

Sky Notes:

Sunrise: 5:48AM
Sunset: 7:52PM
Length of Visible Light: 15h 7m
Length of Day: 14h 4m
Tomorrow will be 2 minutes 42 seconds longer

The Moon is waxing gibbous, 13 days old with 96% illumination.
Moonrise: 6:26PM
Moonset: 5:29AM

About Today’s Photo:

I came across this well worked tree while running yesterday. It bares he unmistakable handiwork of a pileated woodpecker, who had excavated the large holes in search of hidden bugs. I’d run by this tree the week before (in the crusty snow…) and it hadn’t been touched then, so the pileated responsible really went to town during the intervening days.

Panasonic GM5, Lumix 12-32mm lens @  12mm, ISO 400, f/13, 1/160″ exposure.

 


Friday, April 27, 2018

wood-frog

A wood frog floats in the pond

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 6:50AM it’s currently 38 degrees under partly cloudy skies. Winds are calm. Relative humidity is 98%, dewpoint 38, barometric pressure 29.85” and rising slowly. We picked up 0.77” of rain in the past 24hrs. Yesterday’s high was 53, and the overnight low was 38.

Forecast:

This morning’s sunshine will give way to clouds and showers this afternoon as a trough of low pressure moving up along the Atlantic coast moves into our region later today. Precipitation will taper off later tonight, but another trough of low pressure approaching from the Great Lakes will slowly work its way into the North Country later Saturday and linger over the region Sunday into Monday bringing fairly widespread precipitation Saturday afternoon through Sunday. Temperatures will be on the cool side of normal Sunday. Showers will linger into Monday with continued below normal temperatures before a warming trend develops by the middle of next week.

We’ll see clouds moving in this morning with periods of rain this afternoon. Highs will be around 59F with south winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 90%. Tonight should be cloudy with periods of rain early. Lows will be around 45F with light and variable winds. Chance of rain is 90%.

Saturday should be mostly cloudy early, then become partly cloudy in the afternoon with a slight chance of rain showers. Highs will be around 64F with SSW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Saturday night should bring steady rain in the evening with showers continuing late. Lows will be around 43F with light and variable winds. Chance of rain is 70%.

Sunday should bring a steady rain in the morning with showers continuing in the afternoon. Highs will be around 46F with NW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 90% with rainfall near a quarter of an inch. Sunday night should bring rain showers early with perhaps a snowflake or two over high elevations late. Lows will be around 37F with light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 75 and a low of 47. We picked up 0.04″ of rain.

Burlington averages for this date are a high of 60 and lows of 39.
The record high was 90°F in 1990).
The record low was 22°F in 1972.

Sky Notes:

Sunrise: 5:49AM
Sunset: 7:51PM
Length of Visible Light: 15h 4m
Length of Day: 14h 1m
Tomorrow will be 2 minutes 44 seconds longer

The Moon is waxing gibbous, 12 days old with 91% illumination.
Moonrise: 5:20PM
Moonset: 5:00AM

About Today’s Photo:

The wood frogs and peepers are doing their thing in the pond right now, creating quite the cacophony at night. While I have yet to be able to get a picture of a peeper (they are small!), the wood frogs are a bit more obliging.


Thursday, April 26, 2018

jersey-squirrel

A grey squirrel considers the camera…

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 7:45AM it’s currently 48 degrees and raining steadily under overcast skies. Winds are calm. Relative humidity is 98%, dewpoint 48, barometric pressure 29.56”. We picked up 0.58” of rain in the past 24hrs. Yesterday’s high was 58, and the overnight low was 46.

Signs of Spring: We’ve got peepers and wood frogs going full bore in the pond!

Forecast:

An upper level low pressure system will move slowly east across
the region today brining more showers especially over northern New York and the northern half of Vermont. The low will move east of the region tonight allowing for a ridge of high pressure to move in along with dry weather. This will be short lived, however, as another low moves into the region from the southwest on Friday bringing showers back into the region. Unsettled weather and cooler temperatures are expected for the weekend.

We’ll see periods of rain roday with highs around 53F and west winds at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain is 100%. Tonight should be cloudy early with some clearing expected late. Lows will be around 42F with SW winds at 5 to 10 mph

Friday should be cloudy with periods of rain developing later in the day. Highs will be around 61F with south winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 80%. Friday night should be cloudy with occasional rain, mainly in the evening. Lows will be around 46F with light and variable winds. Chance of rain is 90%.

Saturday’s looking mostly cloudy early with showers developing later in the day. Highs will be around 64F with SW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 40%. Saturday night should be cloudy with showers. Lows will be around 41F with light and variable winds. Chance of rain is 70%.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 68 and a low of 48. We picked up 0.15″ of rain.

Burlington averages for this date are a high of 60 and lows of 39.
The record high was 84°F in 1913.
The record low was 20°F in 1919.

Sky Notes:

Sunrise: 5:51AM
Sunset: 7:50PM
Length of Visible Light: 15h 1m
Length of Day: 13h 58m
Tomorrow will be 2 minutes 45 seconds longer

The Moon is waxing gibbou, 11 days old with 84% illumination.
Moonrise: 4:11PM
Moonset: 4:30AM

About Today’s Photo:

We were down in New Jersey over the weekend visiting family. They had a feeder on their back patio that attracted all sorts of birds and a cadre of grey squirrels. This “Jersey squirrel” was patient enough for me to get a good shot of it. We rarely, if ever, see grey squirrels in our neck of the woods—we’re mostly red squirrel territory—so it was interesting watching them feed and interact. They seem a bit more social than red squirrels and able to tolerate others of their species better than their more diminutive cousins.

Panasonic GX8, Lumix 100-300mm lens @  140mm, ISO 1600, f/10, 1/400″ exposure.


Saturday, April 21, 2018

fox-sparrow-2

A fox sparrow stops by on its way north

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 7:40AM it’s currently 32 degrees under clear skies (!!!) Winds are calm. Relative humidity is 92%, dewpoint 30, barometric pressure 30.33” and steady. We still have 2” of snow at the stake. Yesterday’s high was 37, and the overnight low was 26.

Forecast:

It seems we might have turned the corner folks… High pressure and dry air are currently building into the region and and will deliver quiet weather into the middle of next week. Temperatures will remain below normal over the weekend but a warming trend will lead to near to slightly above normal
temperatures by mid week. We can expect plentiful sunshine through the middle of the workweek as well before rain returns to the region Wednesday.

We’ll see mostly sunny skies this morning giving way to some clouds this afternoon. Highs will be around 48F with NW winds at 10 to 15 mph. Tonight should be partly cloudy with lows near 30F and WNW winds at 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday should be mostly sunny with highs around 51F and NNW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Sunday night should be clear with lows around 34F and light and variable winds.

Monday’s looking sunny with highs around 61F and light and variable winds. Monday night should be partly cloudy with low around 43F and south winds at 5 to 10 mph.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 50 and a low of 44. We picked up 0.35″ of rain.

Burlington averages for this date are a high of 58 and lows of 37.
The record high was 83°F in 1977.
The record low was 18°F in 1908.

Sky Notes:

Sunrise: 5:59AM
Sunset: 7:44PM
Length of Visible Light: 14h 46m
Length of Day: 13h 44m
Tomorrow will be 2 minutes 50 seconds longer

The Moon is a waxing crescent, 5.6 days old with 32% illumination.
Moonrise: 10:30AM
Moonset: 12:56AM

About Today’s Photo:

We were lucky again this year to have a red fox sparrow stop by on its way north. These large sparrows overwinter in central and eastern North America and breed in the taiga of Canada and Alaska. This fellow came through at about the same time that the white throated sparrows returned.

Panasonic GX8, Lumix 100-300mm lens @  171mm, ISO 1600, f7.1, 1/400″ exposure.


Friday, April 20, 2018

robins-in-snow

“Um, where is this ‘spring’ you speak of…?”

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 8:00AM it’s currently 30 degrees and snowing lightly under overcast skies. Winds are out of the south at 0-3 mph. Relative humidity is 94%, dewpoint 29, barometric pressure 30.06” and rising rapidly. We picked up 0.02” of rain and 2.5” of snow and have 2.5” at the stake. Yesterday’s high was 40, and the overnight low was 30.

Forecast:

Mountain snow showers and valley rains will continue through the day today as an upper level trough slowly drifts east over the Canadian Maritimes. Lingering high elevation snow showers will lead to the potential for 3″ to 6″ of total snow accumulation at elevations above 1500′. Temperatures will remain below normal through the weekend as a warming trend begins on Sunday. Coming out of the weekend we should see near normal to slightly above nnormal temperatures along with dry conditions and plentiful sunshine. Really snow, this is the last time, right?

We’ll see snow this morning changing over to rain showers this afternoon. Highs will be near 40F with NW winds at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain is 90%. Tonight should be mostly cloudy with a few flurries or snow showers possible. Lows will be around 31F with NW winds at 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday should start out cloudy early, then become partly cloudy in the afternoon. Highs will be around 47F with NW winds at 10 to 15 mph. Saturday night should be partly cloudy with lows near 30F and NW winds at 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday’s looking mostly sunny with highs around 51F and NNW winds at 5 to 10 mph. Sunday night should be mostly clear with lows around 34F and light and variable winds.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 50 and a low o 42. We picked up 0.62″ of rain.

Burlington averages for this date are a high of 57 and a low of 37.
The record high was 86°F in 1941.
The record low was 16°F in 1897.

Sky Notes:

Sunrise: 6:00AM
Sunset: 7:42PM
Length of Visible Light: 14h 43m
Length of Day: 13h 41m
Tomorrow will be 2 minutes 51 seconds longer

The Moon is a waxing crescent, 4.6 days old with 22% illumination.
Moonrise: 9:33AM
No Moonset

About Today’s Photo:

We had a good sized flock of robins come through yesterday evening as the snow began falling in earnest. They, like us, were no doubt wondering where spring is…

Panasonic GX8, Lumix 100-300mm lens @  177mm, ISO 1600, f/5, 1/50″ exposure.