Huntington weather every day!

Archive for November, 2016

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

winterberry-pond

Winterberries by the beaver pond down in Grafton

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 7:20AM it’s currently 37 degrees under mostly cloudy skies. Winds are calm. Relative humidity is 98%, dewpoint 36, barometric pressure 29.91”. We picked up 0.40” of rain in the past 24hrs. Yesterday’s high was 43, and the overnight low was 37.

Forecast:

We’re in a bit of a dry albeit foggy slot between weather systems this morning. Low pressure the Wisconsin/Minnesota border this morning will shift north of the Great Lakes by Thursday morning, and then eastward through southern Ontario on Friday. This will bring unsettled conditions to the region through the end of the work week with rain and some snow at higher elevations. Temperatures will remain above seasonal averages until Saturday when high pressure begins to build in.

We’ll see foggy conditions this morning, then occasional rain showers during the afternoon. Highs will be around 48F with winds ESE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain is 90%. Tonight rain is likely. Lows will be around 41F with winds ESE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain is 100% with rainfall near 1/4″.

Thursday should be cloudy with a few showers later in the day. Highs will be around 46F with winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain is 30%. Thursday night should bring a few rain showers early mixing with snow showers late over higher elevations. Lows will be around 36F with winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Friday should bring rain showers in the morning becoming a steady light rain in the afternoon. Snow may mix in over higher elevations. Highs will be around 41F with winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 70%. Friday night should be variably cloudy with snow showers. Lows should be around 31F with light and variable winds. Chance of snow is 60% with snowfall around 1″ most likely over higher elevations.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 32 and a low of 14. We picked up 0.50″ of snow and 0.50″ of rain.

Burlington averages for this date are highs of 39 and lows of 26.
The record high was 63°F in 2006 (we had a high of 64).
The record low was -2°F in 1958.

Sky Notes:

Sunrise: 7:07 AM EST
Sunset: 4:14 PM EST
Length of Visible Light: 10h 12m
Length of Day: 9h 07m
Tomorrow will be 1m28s shorter.

The Moon is a waxing crescent, 1 day old with 0.6% illumination.
Moonrise: 7:45 AM EST
Moonset: 5:31 PM EST

About Today’s Photo:

Winterberry Holly (Ilex verticillata) is the only true holly native to New England. It prefers wetland habits, and its glossy red berries provide an important source of food for a variety of critters. There were large thickets of the holly around the beaver pond at my family’s place in Grafton.

Panasonic GX8, Olympus 60mm macro lens, ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/500″ exposure.


Tuesday, November 29, 2016

_1040812-1

An iconic view of Camel’s Hump from East Street yesterday afternoon

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 7:50AM it’s currently 37 degrees and raining lightly under overcast skies. Winds are light out of the south. Relative humidity is 95%, dewpoint 36, barometric pressure 30.03” and falling slowly. We picked up 0.04” of rain overnight. Yesterday’s high was 37, and the overnight low was 23.

There is a Freezing Rain Advisory in effect for our region until 9:00AM. Roads may be slick so drive carefully!

Forecast:

Low pressure moving out the the Great Lakes this morning will bring widespread precipitation to the region this morning before tapering off from west to east this afternoon. Most of the precipitation will be in the form of rain, but areas east of the Greens will see freezing rain and the potential for light ice accumulations before changing over to rain later midday. We’ll see a brief break in the showers early Wednesday before another low moves in bringing widespread rain into the region later Wednesday into Wednesday night. Temperatures will remain above seasonal averages for the period.

We’ll see periods of rain today. Highs will be around 42F with winds SE at 15 to 25 mph gusting to 40mph. Chance of rain is 90% with rainfall around 1/4″. Tonight rain should way to foggy conditions overnight. Lows will be around 41F with winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 60%.

Wednesday should start off foggy with rain developing later in the day. Highs will be around 49F with winds ESE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain is 80%. Wednesday night rain is likely. Lows will be around 42F with winds SE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain is 90% with rainfall near 1/2″.

Thursday’s looking showery in the morning with some clearing in the afternoon. Highs will be around 48F with winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain is 50%. Thursday night should bring a few showers early with mostly cloudy conditions later. Lows will be around 37F with winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 30%.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 32 and a low of 19.

Burlington averages for this date are highs of 40°F and lows of 26°F
The record high was 68°F in 2005 (we had a high of 62).
The record low was 2°F in 1940.

Sky Notes:

Sunrise: 7:05 AM EST
Sunset: 4:14 PM EST
Length of Visible Light: 10h 13m
Length of Day: 9h 08m
Tomorrow will be 1m33s shorter.

The Moon is new today, 29.4 days old with 0% illumination.
Moonrise: 6:51 AM EST
Moonset: 4:50 PM EST

About Today’s Photo:

The sun popped out yesterday around midday and Camel’s Hump was gleaming in a coating of rime as I drove up East Street. I just had to stop and take a shot!

Panasonic GX8, Lumix 14-140mm lens @ 69mm, ISO 800, f/13, 1/1000″ exposure.


Monday, November 28, 2016

cattail-grafton

A burst cattail at the edge of a beaver pond

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 7:15AM it’s currently 30 degrees under overcast skies. Winds are calm. Relative humidity is 83%, dewpoint 25, barometric pressure 30.17” and rising slowly. We picked up a dusting of crusty snow overnight. Snow at the stake in the front yard is down to bare ground, but we still have a patchy couple of inches in our front field. Yesterday’s high was 36, and the overnight low was 30.

Forecast:

A ridge of high pressure will build into the region today bringing dry weather and increasing amounts of sunshine. The dry weather will be short lived, however, as a large trough of low pressure will move toward the region later tonight into Tuesday. Clouds will be on the increase tonight and precipitation will become widespread across the region during the early and mid morning hours on Tuesday. There may be a brief period of mixed precipitation at the onset, especially east of the Greens, but should change to all rain region wide as a warm front lifts through the region ahead of the low. Unsettled weather will be the rule through the rest of the week as another low moves through Wednesday bringing more rain. Temperatures should be seasonalbly mild through the period.

We’ll see cloudy skies this morning, followed by partial clearing. Highs will be around 36F with light and variable winds. Tonight should be partly cloudy this and become cloudy after midnight with areas of freezing rain possible late especially east of the Greens. Lows will be around 28F with winds ESE at 10 to 15 mph.

Tuesday areas of freezing rain are possible early especially east of the Greens, transitioning to all rain by mid morning. Highs will be around 45F with winds SE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain is 90% with rainfall around 1/4″. Tuesday night should bring a slight chance of a rain showers. It will be mild for this time of year with lows around 41F and winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.

Wednesday, morning showers early should becoming a steady rain later in the day. Highs will be around 49F with wzinds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain is 90% with rainfall near 1/4″. Wednesday night should bring occasional light rain. Lows will be around 42F with winds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain is 80%.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 39 and a low of 27. We picked up 0.29″ of rain.

Burlington averages for this date are highs of 40°F and lows of 27°F.
The record high was 68°F in 1990.
The record low was 1°F in 1936.

Sky Notes:

Sunrise: 7:04 AM EST
Sunset: 4:15 PM EST
Length of Visible Light: 10h 15m
Length of Day: 9h 10m
Tomorrow will be 1m36s shorter.

The Moon is a waning crescent, 28.5 days old with 1% illumination.
Moonrise: 5:55 AM EST
Moonset: 4:13 PM EST

About Today’s Photo:

The cattails around the beaver pond at my family’s place in Grafton were in various states of intactness. I like the way this one was furry blur dusted with a bit of graupel like some sort of carnival confection.

Panasonic GX8, Olympus 60mm macro lens, ISO 800, f/4, 1/1300″ exposure.


Sunday, November 27, 2016

huntington-valley-fog

Looking south down the Huntington River valley from Taft hill yesterday morning.

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 8:20AM it’s currently 32 degrees under mostly cloudy skies. Winds are calm. Relative humidity is 92%, dewpoint 30, barometric pressure 30.08”. We picked up 0.06” of rain in the past 24hrs. Yesterday’s high was 43, and the overnight low was 31.

Forecast:

Weak low pressure over southern Québec this morning will deliver one more day of cloudy weather with some snow showers in the mountains today. A ridge of high pressure will build in on Monday bringing dry weather and a bit of sunshine. This will be short lived however as a trough of low pressure develops to our west on Tuesday and Wednesday bringing clouds and precipitation back into the region later in the week.

We’ll see cloudy skies today with temperatures nearly steady in the mid 30s and winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Tonight should be cloudy with low around 26F and light and variable winds.

Monday should be partly cloudy with highs around 36F and light and variable winds. Monday night should be partly cloudy in the evening, then become cloudy overnight. Lows will be around 26F with winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.

Tuesday rain is likely. Highs will be around 43F with winds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain is 90% with rainfall near a 1/4″. Tuesday night should bring showers in the evening, then cloudy conditions overnight. Lows will be near 40F with winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain is 40%.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 60 and a low of 39.

Burlington averages for this date are highs of 41 and lows of 27.
The record high was 66°F in 1896.
The record low was -1°F in 1957.

Sky Notes:

Sunrise: 7:03 AM EST
Sunset: 4:15 PM EST
Length of Visible Light: 10h 16m
Length of Day: 9h 11m
Tomorrow will be 1m39s shorter.

The Moon is a waning crescent, 27 days old with 4% illumination.
Moonrise: 4:58 AM EST
Moonset: 3:40 PM EST

About Today’s Photo:

I never tire of the view from the top of Taft Hill. Yesterday morning, as we drove over to Hunters’ Breakfast, I just had to stop and get a shot of the tendrils of fog as they lingered in the trees below.

Panasonic GX8, Lumix 14-140mm lens @ 46mm, ISO 800, f/16, 1/640″ exposure.


Saturday, November 26, 2016

oak-leaf-rusty-planter

Oak leaves in an old rusting seed planter

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 7:50AM it’s currently 32 degrees under mostly cloudy skies. Winds are calm. Relative humidity is 98%, dewpoint 32, barometric pressure 30.10”. We have 2” of snow at the stake. Yesterday’s high was 40, and the overnight low was 32.

Forecast:

Low pressure moving east from the upper mid-West today will deliver another day of cloudy conditions across the region today with high temperatures in the mid 30s to lower 40s. Light rain is expected later this morning and afternoon at
the lower elevations with light snow in the mountains. Precipitation will taper off tonight and be more confined to the mountains through Sunday. Brief high pressure will build Monday before the next weather maker arrives Tuesday bringing another wintery mix.

We’ll see cloudy skies today with occasional rain showers with snow may mix in at higher elevations. Highs will be around 41F with winds light and variable. Chance of rain is 70%. Tonight shold be mostly cloudy with snow showers or flurries. Lows will be around 29F with winds light and variable. Chance of snow is 40%.

Sunday should bring periods of flurries and a few snow showers throughout the day. High will be around 35F with winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow is 30%. Sunday night should be cloudy with lows around 28F and winds light and variable.

Monday’s looking partly cloudy with high around 36F light and variable winds. Monday night should be partly cloudy during the evening giving way to cloudy skies overnight. Lows will be around 24F with winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 51 and a low of 41.

Burlington averages for this date are highs of 41 and lows of 28.
The record high was 64°F in 1979.
The record low was -3°F in 1938.

Sky Notes:

Sunries: 7:02 AM EST
Sunset: 4:16 PM EST
Length of Visible Light: 10h 18m
Length of Day: 9h 13m
Tomorrow will be 1m43s shorter.

The Moon is a waning crescent, 26 days old with 9% illumination.
Moonrise: 4:00 AM EST
Moonset: 3:09 PM EST

About Today’s Photo:

We were down visiting family in Grafton, VT for Thanksgiving. While exploring around the property before turkey time, I came across this pair of oak leaves stuck in the handle of an old and rusting seed planter.

Panasonic GX8, Lumix 14-140mm lens @ 30mm, ISO 1600, f/4.4, 1/500″ exposure.


Wednesday, November 23, 2016

junco

A slate colored junco in the rhododendron by the house

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 7:35AM it’s currently 27 degrees under overcast skies. Winds are calm. Relative humidity is 87%, dewpoint 23, barometric pressure 30.25” and rising. We picked up a slightly crusty 0.25” of new snow and have 7” at the stake. Yesterday’s high was 30, and the overnight low was 26.

Forecast:

A ridge of high pressure building eastward from the Great Lakes will bring a brief period of dry weather today and tonight, and maybe a few breaks of sun for this afternoon. A weak upper level low and warm front moving northeastward from the Ohio River valley will bring periods of light snow for Thanksgiving day. Only light accumulations are expected on the order of a dusting to 2″. Another weak low will move out of the Great Lakes Friday into Saturday bringing periods of light rain and snow showers.

We’ll see mostly cloudy skies today with highs around 32F and winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Tonight should be cloudy with low around 23F and winds light and variable.

Thursday should bring snow during the morning transitioning to snow showers during the afternoon. High will be around 36F with winds light and variable. Chance of snow is 70% with a dusting to 3″ of snow expected. Thursday night should be cloudy with snow showers mainly during the evening. Low will be around 31F with winds light and variable. Chance of snow is 60% with snow accumulations less than one inch.

Friday’s looking mostly cloudy in the morning then periods of rain showers later in the day. High will be around 39F with winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 40%. Friday night rain showers in the evening should becoming a steady light rain overnight possibly transitioning to snow over higher elevations. Lows will be around 35F with winds light and variable. Chance of rain is 60%.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 31 and a low of 23.

Burlington averages for this date are highs of 42 and lows of 29.
The record high was 68°F in 1953.
The record low was 2°F in 1972.

Sky Notes:

Sunrise: 6:58 AM EST
Sunset: 4:17 PM EST
Length of Visible Light: 10h 23m
Length of Day: 9h 19m
Tomorrow will be 1m52s shorter.

The Moon is a waning crescent, 24 days old with 31% illumination.
Moonrise: 1:03 AM EST
Moonset: 1:47 PM EST

About Today’s Photo:

Slate colored juncos are a common critter in these parts all year long. Though not as flashy as some of our other regular, these diminutive little birds have their own charm as they forage below bushes and shrubs.

Panasonic GX8, Lumix 100-300mm lens @ 258mm, ISO 1600, f/5.4, 1/320″ exposure.


Tuesday, November 22, 2016

snow-on-spruce

Snow falls on spruce boughs by our front porch yesterday afternoon

Morning Observation:

This morning in Huntington at 6:45AM it’s currently 27 degrees and snowing lightly under overcast skies. Winds are calm. Relative humidity is 90%, dewpoint 25, barometric pressure 29.82” and rising rapidly. We picked up 8.25” of new snow in the past 24hrs for a storm total of 12.25”. We have 10” at the stake (which, incidentally, is almost twice the max depth of 5.75” we had last “winter” on Jan 30, 2016). Yesterday’s high was 28, and the overnight low was 25.

Forecast:

Low pressure will slowly depart eastward across the Canadian Maritimes today and tonight allowing for some lingering flurries and mountain snow showers along with moderately strong and gusty northwesterly winds. High pressure will build in bringing drier conditions for a brief time Tuesday night and Wednesday. A weak upper level low moving out of the Great Lakes will bring the potential for a mix of rain and snow showers for Thanksgiving day. A more significant low may affect the region Friday night into Saturday with a mix of rain and snow.

We’ll see mostly cloudy skies today with snow showers around this morning. Highs will be around 32F with winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow is 60%. Tonight should bring occasional light snow showers. Low will be around 26F with winds NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow is 40% with snow accumulations less than one inch.

Wednesday should bring cloudy skies with highs around 32F and winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Wednesday night should be overcast with low 23F and winds light and variable.

Thursday should bring occasional snow showers with some sleet or freezing rain possible as warmer air moves in. High will be around 36F with winds light and variable. Chance of snow is 60% with snow accumulations less than one inch. Thursday night should be mostly cloudy with some snow showers around before midnight. Low will be near 30F with winds light and variable. Chance of snow is 40%.

Almanac:

Last year on this date we had a high of 48 and a low of 30.

Burlington averages for this date are highs of 43 and lows of 29.
The record high was 69°F in 1953.
The record low was 3°F in 1969.

Sky Notes:

Sunrise: 6:57 AM EST
Sunset: 4:18 PM EST
Length of Visible Light: 10h 25m
Length of Day: 9h 21m
Tomorrow will be 1m57s shorter.

The Moon is a waning crescent, 23 days old with 40% illumination.
Moonrise: 12:02 AM EST
Moonset: 1:19 PM EST

About Today’s Photo:

The snow just kept coming down all day yesterday dumping a total of 12.25″ here by this morning. Suddenly winter! I enjoyed watching it fall (and skiing on it!)

Panasonic GX8, Lumix 20mm prime lens, ISO 800, f/1.7, 1/8000″ exposure.